A quest to make sense of it all. Or a sense to make a quest of it all.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

The war on vagina.

There are a million things I'd like to talk about but haven't gotten around to here yet. Seeing two Red Wings games in Nashville (and seeing Jack White at one omgomgomg!!!), a ZZ Top show, fishing at the creek, Memorial Day shenanigans, adventures in Memphis, amazing new recipes, the possibility of relocating to Mobile, being asked (and agreeing) to teach Sunday School to ESL 7th graders, and the new gas grill that has changed my life.

I've wanted to bring up marriage equality, biblical exploration, bullying, crop subsidizing, and several news stories that aren't news anymore. Like this one.

Last week,  Michigan state Rep. Lisa Brown got in a bit of trouble for saying "vagina". Here's her side of it, in which she pretends like she just has no idea what she did wrong, and that everyone's being mean to her because her vagina is not a Republican vagina. If you don't want to click that link, here's what she said.

"Finally Mr. Speaker, I'm flattered that you're all so interested in my vagina, but 'no' means 'no.'"

The next day, she was silenced...and decided it was because she used the word vagina. Had nothing to do with the fact that she acted like a snotty sixth grader who just discovered Feminism for Dummies.

Does she really need someone to explain to her that, actually, no, conservatives are not interested in her vagina? That they are in fact so disinterested that they don't want to pay for its activities? I doubt it. The statement was inflammatory, it was meant to be inflammatory, and now she's pouting for getting flamed. It isn't the word that's the problem. It's that she threw aside the decorum and levelheadedness that her job (theoretically) requires so that she could make a (sassy! so sassy!) jab and paint it like any Republican personally gives a rat's ass about her sex life. This is the tip of a huge, and hugely stupid, War-on-Women rhetoricberg. Because, you know, people who don't think other people's abortions and birth control should be a shared expense are all closeted, homophobic, misogynistic, old white men in suitsblahblahBLAHBLAHBLAH. (Jeez. The "old white men" bit is as tired as the "flying spaghetti monster" bit, guys. It was tired when I was using it, back in high school. I was a hardcore liberal back then. I also thought Jay Mohr was the hottest guy alive and that nobody, like, got Fiona Apple in the deep way that I did.)

I don't see a war on women. I see a lot of women being spoken for, as if having a vagina (said it!) means we all have the same beliefs and desires. That's the only injustice I see. No one is taking away my "rights" by making me pay for my own (completely elective, btw) reproductive choices. No one is stripping my freedoms or sending me back to the dark ages by holding me accountable to my own decisions. Birth control coverage is a convenience, not a right. Being able to blather like an idiot? That's a right. My body, my choice...my paycheck. I want the government to stay out of my uterus, too, and the best way to keep the government out of it is to not let the government pay for it.

Just sayin'.

More to come. I'm pretty annoyed.

4 comments:

theogeo said...

She wasn't making the comment in the context of birth-control legislation or who pays for what; the debate was over abortion restrictions and legislation that would make it a crime to terminate a pregnancy after 20 weeks.

So, yes, there are people talking about stripping away your freedoms.

sarah saint said...

I should have been clearer; the "more to come" is going to tie this in with the recent Catholic vs. birth control coverage brouhaha that I find myself debating constantly, and how any suggested limit on anything short of free abortions in a fast food drive through is immediately labeled as War on Women. I have a problem with the phrase itself.

As far as being told I can't abort after 20 weeks, I'm ok with that.

theogeo said...

But that's you. You get to make decisions for your bits. Not mine.

sarah saint said...

I'm not trying to.