A quest to make sense of it all. Or a sense to make a quest of it all.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

I'ma make it funderstorm.

This is what's up. While I'm actually sitting still in front of a computer, with unstolen wi-fi.

1) You should go to the Rattlesnake Saloon because it's a lot of fun (and hello, it's in a cave). It's also awesome if the friend you go with used to work there and can get the hookup on free noms. I recommend the Duke burger, which is topped with bacon and fried jalapeno slices.
2) There is no reason for me to ever wear anything other than VS khaki miniskirts, textured tights, and tall Uggs. I'm henceforth pretending that pants don't exist. Bonus points for adding skinny scarves. Are they necessary? Heck, no! But I'm girly, and that's that. I accept that girlyness is a social construct. Ok. I enjoy it.
3) I lopped off my hair to remove the last of the old dark color. That brought it to a startlingly shorter length (just past shoulders), but it's worth it to me. Think Zooey Deschanel. (Please, please think Zooey Deschanel when you see me. Please.) Also got new glasses, just to complete the geek-chic. Also so that I can see.
4) The Lions are 5-0. Who ARE these guys? Meanwhile, the Packers blahblahblahblah...
5) Engineer 2.0 has somehow never seen Back to the Future, any of the Indiana Jones movies, Halloween, or Gremlins. Well, he hadn't seen Halloween until this past weekend. I set him straight on that Saturday night. But seriously...no Indiana? No Doc? Sad panda.
6) Last night, E-2.0 and I attended Alcorn County's Republican Party meeting, as Pappy was the guest speaker. He owned it. There were a few regular speakers. They didn't own it. There were refreshments, but between my intermittent food snobbery* and Brett's non-negotiable food allergies, we just glanced longingly at the buffet table and walked on. Actually, I was really looking forward to this, because I wanted to hear about the Amendment 26 issue that's got Mississippians in a tizzy. *deep breath* Ok. I left with a mouth full of blood from biting my tongue. People are entitled to their opinions, but having misinformation about reproductive rights floating around just ain't fly, and I'm kind of kicking myself for not standing up and saying so. This amendment has very broad, very dangerous implications, and a great deal of the propaganda surrounding it has been shamefully misleading. I'm not trying to change opinions on this. But if those opinions are based on intentionally deceptive rhetoric, anyone who knows better has an obligation to set the record straight, and I'm pretty sure a lot of the people who are supporting this legislative catastrophe are only doing so because they are unclear on key definitions. The group who is actually pushing this, Personhood USA, attempted it in Colorado first, where it didn't pass. They immediately targeted Mississippi, and I don't think they missed the fact that Mississippi has one of the five lowest rates of college graduates in the nation. The signs and flyers feature a giant picture of a fetus, and the wording deliberately misleads the reader to assume this is strictly an abortion issue. That's no accident. They're counting on Mississippi being too stupid to understand the difference between fertilization and conception, and so far, they're correct. Amendment 26 is rapidly gaining momentum because of this deception. It appeals to everyone who considers themselves pro-life, and it's become the favorite mission among people who believe women shouldn't even speak aloud in church unless it's in tongues. I don't think any of them are qualified to make decisions relating to my fallopian tubes. I'm sure I'll post more about this soon, as we get closer to November 8.
7) The Corinth Symphony Orchestra is pretty great. Booface (ooh, can't wait til he reads that) and I attended this past Saturday. It was way more impressive than we thought it would be. I've seen them a few times before, for Christmas and their annual concerts for July 4th, but this was...better. They kicked it off with some very familiar but always pretty Mozart (Serenade 13 in G, first movement). Sure, it's probably the first piece of music to be overplayed nearly to death, and you know it instantly when you hear it. But go ahead and give it another listen. It's a really gorgeous piece of music. Know how some Beatles and Zeppelin songs are so iconic and recognizable that you kinda forget how great they really are until you listen to one all the way through again? Then you're like, "Damn, this is good. This is really good." Same thing. Mozart was a rockstar before there were rockstars. He had better pieces (I can barely listen to the first movement of Symphony No. 25 without doing the ugly-cry, and his Requiem in D Minor will only fail to give you goosebumps if you're the deceased), but No. 13's pretty sweet, and it's pretty awesome that most people can hum the tune 224 years after it was written.


That's that. For now.

* See: Duke burger.

1 comment:

freudiantypo said...

I demand pictures of your new haircut and glasses!

I, myself, live in skirts and boots. It's out of hand, actually. I'm in the midst of compiling a blog post / picture gallery of my boot problem.

And - you must trust - throw in some leg warmers that peek just above the boot to complete the look. Also keeps your legs extra toasty.

And heck yes the scarf is necessary!