A quest to make sense of it all. Or a sense to make a quest of it all.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

That's it, I'm buying land and starting a farm.

A slow day, full of gossip and...stupid. I've no interest in jumping into discussions about people I don't know (and especially not the ones I do know). Keeping my head down and thinking my crazy thoughts? That I can do.

Most of the people who read this blog are pretty sharp, and like to stay fairly aware of what's going on in the world. So I'm sure you guys are aware of what's shakin' in Greece. Mane. I was hoping to take a vacation there next year. Poor Greece.
What's particularly alarming is that Portugal, Spain, Ireland, and Italy are inching closer to defaulting as well. The combined $$ needed to bail them all out is more than Europe can swing in time for Christmas presents. That's the bitch of a "global community". At some point, it becomes everybody's responsibility to bail each other out, with the result being that everyone ends up broke. See how I just broke it all down? Because it's that simple ;)

I don't want to sound like one of those nutty alarmist/militia types (they're all in Michigan, anyway), but I'm getting more convinced that I should buy some land and get to plantin'. I really don't think the current system's going to last much longer. "Things fall apart; the center cannot hold." That's Yeats, in his poem, "The Second Coming". Fascinating piece. Another interesting line: "the falcon cannot hear the falconer." I'm no poet, but I dig words, and I think about those two lines with increasing frequency. Recessions and depressions are natural enough; even simple societies deal with rough times together. But I can't help but feel we're on the verge of huge disaster. Our monetary/food system is too complicated, too big, too interwoven, too based on too little. It's only gonna stretch so far before it snaps, and when it does, the falcon won't hear the falconer; the people most reliant on receiving instruction from the government will be running amok, directionless. As close to chaos as you could hope not to see. The scars of the Great Depression still run deep. Think about how bad that was; and that was nearly a hundred years ago, back when most people still had at least a rudimentary grasp on self-sufficiency. Rural people still knew how to make things grow, and how to raise animals for food. And they were still starving. Obviously, the dust bowl situation contributed to this; our land is still being terribly abused but it's still productive...even though most of it's being used to produce cow corn that humans can't even eat, and which cows shouldn't eat because they are ruminants. (Ugh. Stewardship, people. If you abuse the food source, don't bitch about recalls when *gasp* your food is tainted and makes you sick.) Subsidizing has crowded out the rural farmer and distorted the average American's perception of what food actually is and where it comes from. That's terrifying. When the collapse occurs, what happens to people who rely on government checks to buy factory food? It's not going to be pleasant to see what happens, but I'm getting surer that I'm going to. I feel a lot better knowing I can at least keep a garden. I'll feel much better when I have my own land to do it on, and once I know how to raise my own animals. And it doesn't have to be totally primitive; if you've got a well, you've got a power source. Waterwheels are basic and time-tested. It's not terribly difficult to build simple solar panels. I love my homemaking hobbies, but they're not just hobbies; there might come a day when it's imperative that I can sew, knit, put up/can food, and milk a goat (check, check, check, check). I can also churn butter and make simple cheese...which is necessary to my own survival and happiness. Life without cheese is a life I just can't bear to imagine.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this. I just know I'm tired of watching the buildup. Whether or not the collapse happens in my lifetime, I'm wanting less and less to be reliant on anyone but myself and my own family. It's not just a hobby to be interested in how nutrition directly effects health and knowing what foods and herbs cut a flu short, ease pain, lower blood pressure, slow bleeding, heal infections, give relief to a colicky baby, etc. When this society breaks down, our current concept of health care is going to blip out of existence, and it's gonna behoove women to know about having babies at home. We live in a culture where women are so out of tune with their bodies, they think they actually have to be in a hospital, hooked up to monitors and being poked at by strangers, instead of in their own homes with their families. To me, that's nuts. Women have only gotten used to birthing in hospitals in the last sixty years or so, and in that time, have grown reliant on Big Health's way of doing things. Here's some news: that baby's coming when it wants to, and it doesn't care where you are. If you know something about the process and prenatal/postpartum care (or have a midwife handy), you don't have to be in a hospital. I'm glad to see that the midwife trend is on the rise again; it makes more sense. There are babies in my future. They will be born at home.

Stupid humans. Complicating what doesn't need to be complicated. I'ma buy some sheep, ya'll. And figure out how the hell to turn their hair into shirts.*

*Not today.

No comments: