A quest to make sense of it all. Or a sense to make a quest of it all.

Tuesday, September 06, 2011

That's the biggest leaf I've ever seen.



This weekend, I attended Catholic Mass for the first time that I can remember. I attended with a friend once, back in like sixth grade, but I don't recall much about it other than that it felt foreign and uncomfortable. This Sunday, it still felt foreign, but much more comfortable than I expected. The priest was out of town, so the service was handled by members of the congregation, with the result being somewhat awkward and messy. After the service, Catholic Friend and I skipped on over to First Baptist, where I usually attend. I think he was a little overwhelmed by the, uh, pomp and circumstance, as was I, which is why I usually only go on Wednesday evenings. I can do without all the singing and effects; I'm there for a lesson, not a Vegas floor show. Wednesday night bible study is my preferred night because there is zero showiness, zero singing, and all study. We sheepishly told each other not to judge based on these particular Sunday morning services, and that we'll give it another shot this week. We returned to his house for grilled steak (awesome) and scary-movie viewing that turned into kitchen-chatting that went on until we realized we were sitting in almost total darkness. So we lit a hurricane lamp and kept talking. The next day, we set out for BFE, Alabama, for the Labor Day festival at the Coon Dog Cemetery. He assured me that this was to rock my world.

He was incorrect. But it wasn't his fault. After making the very long drive down there, against my whining that, "It's cold! It's rainy! Let's just stay in!" we arrived at the cemetery to find that the festival had been cancelled due to the (cold, rainy) weather. I maturely resisted the urge to jump out of the car and swagger around yelling "What's up?" and "Who was right?" frat-boy style. Instead we took a sudden, unplanned mini-hike into the woods. We discovered a spring and the biggest leaves that have ever existed. Like, dinosaur-big leaves. This walk did not suck at all. We got pretty wet and pretty cold, but we also discovered a really beautiful spot high up on a hill, where we were somewhat protected from the rain but able to clearly see the sky with its low, fast-moving Tropical Storm Lee clouds. We hung out there for awhile until the elements forced us back to the car, where we jacked up the heat and headed back to Corinth for Mexican food and a viewing of Don't Be Afraid of the Dark.

The movie...I'm still not sure if I really liked it. Apparently, Guillermo del Toro did not direct it. He co-wrote. Ummm...well, it didn't stun me. There were a couple of genuinely unnerving scenes that had this seasoned horror vet and her companion nearly grinding each others' hand-bones into dust, but they were more of the gross-out type than really-scary type. And I'm not sure why Katie Holmes was allowed to speak or move in front of a camera, ever. When you do finally see the monsters, they look like miniatrue cave trolls from Lord of the Rings. More piteous and humorous than scary.

The search continues. I guess I'm just going to have to write the story I want to see.

And speaking of writing, it's been happening. A lot of it. I've been working on several items, for myself (and this blog), and for my editor friend to take a gander at. I'm really nervous about this; letting a real professional of the field I want to break into take a look at pieces I've put real effort into is intimidating (what if they suck??). But I'm more curious than nervous, so I'm gonna go ahead and do it. Have to start somewhere, right?

No comments: