A quest to make sense of it all. Or a sense to make a quest of it all.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Engineers really do have all the good ideas.

Each Labor Day, the Tennessee Valley Coon Hunter's Association hosts a celebration at the cemetery to remember faithful coon dogs, and to enjoy buck dancing, a liar's contest, music and barbecue. More than 200 graves are freshly decorated for the event.

Yup. I've been invited down to the Coon Dog Cemetary this Labor Day. Somehow, I've never been.

But it's on this year. Brett has big ideas of winning the "liar's contest", and I have big ideas of watching my Yankee-raised friend spin yarns for Alabaman old timers. There will either be uproarious applause, or crickets (maybe a wailing baby). Either way, it's gonna be a lot of fun for me. Who knows? Maybe I'll buck dance. I will definitely eat barbecue, and pay my respects to all the the departed Reds and Spots and Jakes whose bravery and loyalty made this event possible.

Sometimes, I love the South so much, I can't imagine wanting to live anywhere else. Events like this, The Slugburger Festival, anniversary weekend at Shiloh, the 4th of July at McFarland Park or Point Mallard...all these opportunities to see unbridled Southern insanity in a good way. Everyone's in a good mood, the old folks are acting silly, and there's usually a talented banjo player nearby. It's so charming and sweet and magical. If we were like that all the time, everyone would like us. Unfortunately, all that gets shot the second you walk into the Savannah Wal-Mart and all the South's ugliness is on display: the poverty, the ignorance, the racism, and, worst of all: the apathy toward all of the above. For every sweet granny playing a dulcimer and singing lilting bluegrass lullabies, there are five homophobic 'necks revving their trucks in grocery store parking lots to prove their masculinity. It's disappointing and disheartening.

But at least we've got the Coon Dog Cemetary.

3 comments:

freudiantypo said...

UNDERSTAND THIS:

IF YOU BUCKDANCE YOU HAD DAMN WELL GET A VIDEO!!!!

sarah saint said...

Phone video recorders will be at the ready!

I've had a really strong urge lately to learn how to line dance.

Foz the Hook said...

I'll be waiting to see this. I have still never been to the Hunting Dog Hall of Fame in Grand Junction. Someday.