A quest to make sense of it all. Or a sense to make a quest of it all.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tell me about your mother breakfast.

Earlier this week, a coworker mentioned aloud that she had been losing her hair. It isn't noticeable to anyone else yet, but it's understandably really bothering her. She's right on the edge of menopause, and starting to experience hot flashes and night sweats. I've been listening to her talk about this and thinking, "Man, that's gotta suck." Yesterday she talked to her doctor and agreed to start a new medication that's supposed to help. She's already taking meds for high blood pressure and acid reflux.

She had a Lean Cuisine for lunch, and mentioned that she would probably make sandwiches for dinner.

I, being that annoying health nut (the really annoying one because she's still arguably overweight...but not for long!!), blurted out that those Lean Cuisines are hurting her and that I could probably come up with a menu for her that would encourage hair regrowth and naturally lower her blood pressure.

(Yes, I gained weight over the winter. Why? Coca Cola, that's why. I started enjoying one in the afternoon back around November, which was around the time... know what? I'm not going there. That slight slip off the clean-eating path sent me tumbling and rolling down a hill covered with convenience foods, HFCS, additives, and "enriched" white flour. I landed about a month ago, heavier and feeling like a slothful land beast. Eff that. I resolved to do what's best for me in every capacity, including what I put in my mouth. Eating clean shaved the equivalent of a first-grader off of me last year. I only need to lose maybe an 18 month-old again, or a Boston Terrier. In the last couple weeks, I've lost...about a Bichon Frise, and I've got so much energy I could re-shingle a roof by myself.)

I'm a huge believer in clean eating, and that before going on medications, one should always try to find a natural way to treat a problem. I'm making it my personal goal to get my coworker's blood pressure down, ease her acid reflux, help her lose a few pounds, and hopefully get her hair growing again, so that her doctor can OK her throwing away those damn chemicals with their heinous side effects (and heinous price tags).

This is going to be a lot of fun. I've got a lot of ideas, and I can't wait to ask her about her habits at home, her schedule, and what foods she likes and doesn't like. It's like a big jigsaw puzzle, only when you finish putting it together, someone gets to enjoy a better quality of life.

No comments: