A quest to make sense of it all. Or a sense to make a quest of it all.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Why he's the Manfriend. Also some stuff about books.

"I read like sharks swim. If I stop for very long, I will die." -Bjorn

So, I was supposed to get my zombie on in Memphis tonight. Lacefield and I had big plans to haul ass westward, get splashed with fake blood, and happily lurch along Beale, loudly and ineloquently discussing BRAAAINS.

However. As all of the purchases I made in Chicago and didn't bother to record are now showing up and announcing that they do, in fact, exist whether or not I wrote them down, I have decided to stay home this weekend (and shove my wallet in the freezer to think about what it did). While I am disappointed that I don't get to stagger
over and reunite with my old buddy Lindsey after a too-long hiatus, this isn't terrible news. Now that Memphis, dining out, going out, entertaining others at my home, and buying anything at all have all been knocked off the table, a quiet three day weekend yawns before me. And I am into it.

There are things that need doing. I still have to get caught up on laundry and (shamefully, yes) finish unpacking. I have a lot of ideas for reorganizing the shelves in my bathroom. I may get around to replacing a few light bulbs. Mostly, I'm going to devour what I can of a stack of unfinished books. The very thought is making my brain salivate (ew?), and I keep glancing at the clock, anxious to get home, pour an ice-cold blueberry-pom & tonic, and settle on the patio. On the menu:



  • Dead Man's Walk, Larry McMurty (This is the first prequel to Lonesome Dove. Don't hate; it's a great series. Well-written, exciting, and occasionally very funny.)

  • My Thoughts Be Bloody: The Bitter Rivalry Between Edwin and John Wilkes Booth That Led to an American Tragedy, Nora Titone

  • No-No Boy, John Okada

  • The Madness of Mary Lincoln, James Emerson

  • The Things They Carried, Tim O'Brien

  • Many Lives, Many Masters: The True Story of a Prominent Psychiatrist, His Young Patient, and the Past-Life Therapy That Changed Both Their Lives, Brian L. Weiss

  • Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War, Nathaniel Philbrick

  • Old Souls: Compelling Evidence from Children Who Remember Past Lives , Tom Shroder
And no, I'm not turning into a reincarnation-crazed hippie...but the thought is certainly intriguing. And who doesn't like the idea that if you mess up in this life, you get another crack at it in the next? It's attractive, for sure. I'm going to rein this in before I segue into a meandering, possibly offensive post that will probably show up here sometime this weekend.

1 comment:

freudiantypo said...

Tim O'Brien writes magnificently.