A quest to make sense of it all. Or a sense to make a quest of it all.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I'm only happy when it rains.*




All I want to do is relax and read this book, a gift from the manfriend (whose awesomeness increases about every eight seconds or so). The weather has had different ideas. Late Monday night, I was startled out of a pleasant shucks-he-likes-me glow by a text from Brandon, alerting me that Corinth was under a tornado warning. Sure enough, the sirens immediately started shrieking, and kept shrieking. I spent a good chunk of the evening hunkered down in the basement, hoping the ghosts weren't judging me for freaking out (or for my bunny-emblazoned pajama shorts). Last night another wave of severe weather hit. I had decided to stay the night with the folks, and we basically went back and forth between the house and the cellar all night. In total, I've had about 4 hours of sleep between the two nights. I'm fussy. My feeding schedule is off. I'm about as sagacious as a hubcap. And I swear to Gaia I will effing SLAY the next person who mispronounces "sirens".

The storms are supposed to continue until around 3 or 4 this afternoon, but now the bigger concern is what the ground is going to do with all this rain. I'm hoping we don't have a repeat of last May, with its horrible flood damage. We'll see.

*This is not true. But how often does one get such a great opportunity to quote old-school Garbage, from back when Shirley Manson was still pretty cool?

***UPDATE 4/29***
Parts of the South are completely devasted. 300 people are dead, as of last count. Close to a million people are still without electricity, and now the survivors face months of cleanup and rebuilding.

Thankfully, every source of news media is doing a bang-up job on covering the real headline: the royal wedding. Because while so many Americans are hanging out in shelters and relying on the kindness of strangers, it's pretty imperative that we hear all about the wedding menu.

Equally cute are some of the comments on the CNN articles about the destruction in the Southern states, ranging from total apathy to unabashed glee that all us Neocon, sister-screwin' rednecks got what were comin' to us. My personal faves are the ones suggesting that Mother Earth is sticking it to us because we're all Birthers and Climate Change Deniers, and our Jesus is mad at us.

Sometimes my fellow Americans make me a little queasy.

No comments: