A quest to make sense of it all. Or a sense to make a quest of it all.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Para mi esposo.

Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again that I was engaged to a very traditional Puerto Rican man. Our wedding was only a few days away, and Megan and Brandon were my maid/man of honor. As per family tradition, I was given the task of preparing a huge celebratory feast for my familia-to-be. My mother in law-to-be insisted that I use plantains and wild rice extensively. This dream was very vivid and very happy. Instead of being stressed, I was elated, and eager to please my beloved's mother, and the overall vibe of the dream was one of warmth and gratitude and feeling very loved. Megan and Brandon were helping me cook this feast, and there were a lot of warm colors and dried chili peppers, and there was a lot of laughing and kitchen tomfoolery. Basically that movie Tortilla Soup, but with this big happy engagement thrown into the mix and vaguely ethnic women telling me how to spice this or that. I didn't see my other friends, but I had the feeling they were all there, maybe in the next room. I also didn't see my groom-to-be, but I know I was totally in love with him and I couldn't wait to start my new life with him.

It was a great dream. I told Brandon about it this morning and he said,"I hadn't thought about it, but you would make a great wife in that family. You would totally run the house and have a lot of kids and do all the cooking. Your marriage would be passionate and fiery! Your arguments would be hot!" This is a ridiculous statement on a lot of levels, but he kinda did nail what I want. To have a husband I can't get enough of and be surrounded by my babies and high-quality produce.

And because I've never cooked with plantains and I've got a free night, that's what I'm going to do this evening. Dreams probably don't mean much, but this one definitely inspired me to get back in the kitchen, which is where I belong. I don't mean as a woman, but as a Sarah Saint. It's this girl's happy place.

**Update**
I think I'm going to make Asopao de pollo con Bollitas de Platano, which means Chicken Gumbo with Plantain Balls, as the recipe calls for both plantain and rice.
Also thinking about Arroz con Dulce, which is a sweet rice pudding made with coconut milk and rum-soaked raisins. Pictures to come.

2 comments:

freudiantypo said...

We're holding you to the promise of photos.

How goes P365?

sarah saint said...

It's going! I keep forgetting to bring my camera with me, so the last two pics were taken on my phone...I think that still counts, though!