A quest to make sense of it all. Or a sense to make a quest of it all.

Friday, May 07, 2010

I don't claim to understand you, but I been lookin around, and I haven't found anybody like you.

Twice in one week.

So the cleanup crew got postponed due to particularly icky contamination issues. With the evening open, I decided to reschedule the date I had canceled with Gordon in order to do the cleanup. I thought about inviting him over, but I've been so restless lately...itching to tear up 72 and be closer to Memphis. So I suggested we get together for dinner. We were texting possible options when Megan called and suggested doing something together after Keith got off work. They live in Olive Branch, which is next door to Memphis. A solution! Gordon and I would meet for dinner in Olive Branch (he lives in Memphis) and then go over to Megan's house to visit with them.

So where did we decide to meet? This little Mexican restaurant I like because you can smoke indoors and the shrimp chimichangas are cuh-razy good. We were having a ball, good conversation, good flirtation, etc. I had my back to the room and felt someone sit down in the booth behind me. It wasn't until the person got up to head to the bathroom (and I didn't even notice him then!!) and come back out that I saw who it was.

Very funny, Universe.

I was mid-story and waving my fork around like the cool, sophisticated person I am, and I noticed a guy slow down and kinda stop right next to our table. I looked up and did a double take, and found myself looking into hazel goodness. Amused hazel goodness. We didn't say anything, but it was friendly (but then, our cruelty is limited to texting, as we cannot actually be around each other and not grin like chimps). He smiled and lifted his arms slightly in a "well, how 'bout that?" gesture. He looked good. He looked really good. Snuggling on my couch and talking about theology good. Geeking out over music good. Genuinely guffawing at each others' jokes good.

This morning there was a little lighthearted texting about it.

On an impulse, I ended up at a restaurant 45 minutes away on a random Thursday. It's 20 minutes from his house. In all the hundreds of places to eat in Memphis/Olive Branch/Collierville, we both end up at that one at the same time. It's also where we went for our first date in his area.

No coincidences. When we're not on the same page, we're not even in the same book. But when the current is there, it's almost eerie. Probably why we spooked in the first place.

My mother continues to hope.

No comments: