A quest to make sense of it all. Or a sense to make a quest of it all.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Derailed.

This started out as a post about the importance of friends one can rely on, and about knowing when its time to appreciate those friends but rely on yourself. The train of thought was cut by the news that someone who was becoming a good friend was murdered by her estranged husband last night.

(*A great deal of this post has been removed out of respect for Amanda Millsaps and her family. It's very personal, and the details are not mine to share. All I've left here are a few reflections about her.)

I can't go back in time. I can't ask her to stay with me or move back to McComb or...anything. I didn't and don't have the gift of prophecy. What I can do is go to her funeral and offer my condolences to her mother. I can buy flowers. I can mourn the loss of a truly kind soul. I can honor her memory by taking her advice and loving fully whenever God gives me the chance to, appreciating the people in my life, my family and friends and even the people who let me down. Will that hurt me? Undoubtedly. How beautiful, and what a gift.

No comments: