A quest to make sense of it all. Or a sense to make a quest of it all.

Monday, July 21, 2008

A little swollen.


IMG00170.jpg
Originally uploaded by ladysarahsaint
So I injured my poor leg, pretending to be a horse. Go ahead and snort. Rear your head in a whinny of laughter. Shake your head, and paw at the ground. Whatevs.

This sucks. I mean, aside from the pain and my dad constantly making horse noises in my direction. It's thrown off my balance. I'm no good on crutches and I've already taken a scary spill once, and had a few close calls. I can't really exercise. Can't drive 'cause I can't flex my foot enough to press a pedal. Luckily, I seem to be healing pretty quickly. I think I'll be able to walk very short distances just fine by Wednesday or Thursday. Just going a little stir-crazy in the meantime. I've been sitting still for two days and I feel like I've gotta burn some energy or my head will just pop off.

In other news, Neutral Milk Hotel is awesome. Oh, wait, that's only news to me.

Oh, and there's this: Lucy is apparently getting all kinds of encouragement from officers and the like to put in for warrant officer school. Which would mean he would be going career. It would also mean we wouldn't have to worry about things like money or retirement. It's a big deal. A lot to think about. I can't say I mind the thought of being an officer's wife. There are a lot of pluses. The big minus, and it's a BIG one, is that he would still be subject to deployments for the next 20 years. I know I can handle it. I know he can. The question is if we'll volunteer to.
It's funny, how I always said I'd never marry a military man and here my man is not only military but thinking about going career. Even a couple years ago, I probably would have guessed I would be furious at the arising of a question like this. But really, I'm not. I'm proud that he's being noticed by his higher-ups. I'm also proud that he is considering such an honorable career. The military has shaped my family. My father was a career man. His father served in the Air Force, as did my dad's brother. My maternal grandfather was wounded in WWII. His brother was at Normandy. My Uncle Dan served in the Navy and so did my Uncle Keith, who was on river patrol boats in Vietnam. This is a theme going all the way back to King Philip's war in 1675, fifty years after my ancestor came over on the Mayflower. Patriotism isn't an abstract concept in my family. When we say we support and respect the troops, we mean more than putting a yellow ribbon magnet on our car bumpers. I don't know what I'm getting at here. I guess I just mean to say that I know firsthand the sacrifices a military family makes for their ideals. And despite the tears and worry and loneliness that will inevitably come if we make this decision, I'm proud beyond articulation that Luke is considering it.

No comments: