A quest to make sense of it all. Or a sense to make a quest of it all.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

In chronological order.

7/23/2008
Sarah: OMG this is gonna be so fun! I can't wait to see Ansley again. And how cool of her to let us stay with her. I mean, Jessie and Allen would have, but it's already crowded over there.
Brandon: I know! And I'm excited that I'm gonna get to see American Aquarium. Ansley's heard of them.
Sarah: Let's find some good sushi!
Brandon: Yeah!
Together: *merriment*
7/24/2008- on the way to Huntsville
Brandon: I just got a text from Ansley!
Sarah: What's it say? What's it say?
Brandon: I can't.
Sarah: Oh, secret stuff?
Brandon: No, it says "I can't".
Sarah: Um, wtf?
Brandon: I'll text her.
*texting and silence. beep-beep*
Brandon: "Long story, but I can't come. Will explain later. Hvae fun"
Sarah: I take it we can't stay there. Ok, we'll stay with Jessie. I'll call her.
*dial. ring.*
Jessie: Hello? *voice sounds sad*
Sarah: Uh, hey. You ok?
Jessie: Yeah, I'm ok.
Sarah: .... ok. Well, *explains*
Jessie: Damn. Well, I dont think Im gonna come either. I just found out I've gotta go into work early tomorrow to cover for a girl who hurt herself.
*crickets*
Sarah: Ok.
Jessie: But ya'll have fun.
Sarah: Ok.
*both hang up*
Brandon: Are we almost in Birmingham with no place to stay and our posse has just dwindled from 5 to 2?
Sarah: Yup.
Brandon: F#*k.
Sarah: Yup.
Brandon: We can turn around.
Sarah: We're already here. We should at least get dinner.
Brandon: And see the show. Then do you just wanna head home?
Sarah: I guess. Whatever. I feel retarded.
Brandon: Yeah. WAIT! My friend Brittni lives here. She'll let us stay!
*calls and confirms*
Together: *merriment*

Then we got lost on the wrong, and by "wrong" I mean "I think that toddler is carrying a gun" side of town. For about an hour. I've never seen such a confusing setup so full of one-way streets. We finally got turned in the right direction, located the bar, and then found a promising-looking restaurant.
The sushi/Thai place was heavenly. Best rainbow roll I've ever had, by far. The waiter was friendly. The water tasted filtered. Good times. Then we went to the bar, saw the show. The show was great. The speakers were loud. The bathrooms were well-placed. My leg did not make me fall or otherwise embarass me. We hung out with the band for awhile after the show, shootin' the breeze and what-have-you. They're all humorously growing little trash-staches. Funny stuff. Anyway, we headed over to Brittni's house. I'm already a little "meh" about crashing at a stranger's house. Plus, Brandon has a habit of sort of picking up strays, so I have no idea what to expect.

I won't say too much here, except that I was uncomfortable and couldn't wait to get back on the road, and despite the things that I will say another time somewhere else, I am not without thanks that we did not have to sleep in the car. All in all, it was a fun trip. An adventurous, occasionally frightening, high-spirited, outrageous trip with a rag-tag gang of lively characters that keep you on the edge of your seat.

Not really. I've just always wanted to describe one of my experiences like an 80's comedy blurb. But it was a lot of fun.


P.S. Don't ever watch a movie for which a critic from a paper/channel you've never heard of supplies a blurb containing the description "outrageously funny!" or the words "rag-tag gang". It translates to "even stupider than Rat Race".

1 comment:

palm tree said...

I'm in the midst of blogging about yesterday and I just realized that I'm ripping off your post format. Sorry!

Anyway, we've talked since this, and I'm glad that things weren't as bad as your Tweets initially implied!

*Love from Buffalo, peeth out*