A quest to make sense of it all. Or a sense to make a quest of it all.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

"It's not coming...it's already here!"

...HIGH RISK FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT ACROSS SOUTHWESTERN PORTIONS OF THE MIDSOUTH...
THERE IS A HIGH RISK FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS AREAS SOUTHWEST OF A LINE FROM JONESBORO ARKANSAS...TO OAKLAND TENNESSEE...TO OXFORD MISSISSIPPI. A MODERATE RISK FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IS LOCATED ELSEWHERE ACROSS THE MIDSOUTH... NORTHEAST OF THIS LINE.
A WARM...MOIST...AND UNSTABLE AIRMASS IS ALREADY IN PLACE ACROSS THE MIDSOUTH AHEAD OF A STRONG COLD FRONT THAT WILL SLOWLY APPROACH FROM THE WEST. A STRONG UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE WILL MOVE OVER THE REGION THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING LIKELY RESULTING IN SEVERE THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT.

THESE STORMS WILL BE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DAMAGING WINDS...LARGE HAIL...AND TORNADOES. THE POTENTIAL WILL ALSO EXIST FOR STRONG TORNADOES TO DEVELOP. (so don't think you're just getting some weak-ass wannabe tornadoes. you may have to channel bill paxton.) AN ADDITIONAL LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL DEVELOP JUST AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT AS IT MOVES ACROSS THE AREA TONIGHT.

THE PRIMARY TIME FRAME FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE BETWEEN 2 PM CST AND 10 PM CST FOR AREAS WEST OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER AND BETWEEN 4 PM CST AND 2 AM CST WEDNESDAY FOR AREAS ALONG AND EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER. (that's me!) THE STRONG COLD FRONT WILL MOVE OUT OF THE FORECAST AREA AFTER 2 AM CST WEDNESDAY MORNING BRINGING AN END TO THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT.
ALL CITIZENS LIVING IN THE MIDSOUTH SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR THE LIKELIHOOD OF SEVERE WEATHER TODAY AND TONIGHT. BE PREPARED TO TAKE ACTIONS NECESSARY TO PROTECT YOURSELF IF SEVERE WEATHER WARNINGS ARE ISSUED FOR YOUR LOCATION. PLEASE CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST WEATHER INFORMATION CONCERNING THIS SEVERE WEATHER SITUATION.

The difference between my posting this and Tamara posting her own severe weather stuff is that she gets gleeful when there's a threat of apocalyptic winds. I get frozen with all-consuming, religion-rediscovering, aware-of-my-own-mortality terror. The word "tornado" makes my stomach grumble and I suddenly feel very, very tired. If no one hears from me for awhile, it's because I'm in my neighbor's basement with a book, a flashlight, and three jugs of water and I'm not coming out until I hear birds singing.

2 comments:

palm tree said...

LOL. I thought of you last night when I found out about the tornadoes, but was told that it didn't hit your area. I knew you'd be huddled in a complete stranger's underground storm shelter, though, with canned food and 2x4's nailed across the opening.

sarah saint said...

Hehehe. Really, my pre-storm preparations can only be justly described through an Ash-like montage.