A quest to make sense of it all. Or a sense to make a quest of it all.

Monday, December 31, 2007

What a whirlwind of holiday activity. Pictures will soon be posted to my Flickr, but from my dad's camera, as mine is (still) broken and I (still) have not had it repaired or bought a new one. I'm leaning toward the latter. It's gonna be a huge pain in the ass to attempt to have it fixed, and I'm rather titillated by the idea of a newcomer.

The office celebrated Christmas the Friday before last, the 21. We called quittin' time at noon, feasted on Mexican food at Mi Toro, and went back to the office for presents and cocktails. I refrained from the cocktails part (just a good idea, ya know?) and sat back and watched the increasingly inebriated merrymakers. I received a Bookland gift card and a ginormous, totally unexpected bonus. This is the first time I've ever gotten a Christmas bonus from any place I've worked. While it was not enough to have pool put in my yard, it was far more substantial than an enrollment in a jelly-of-the-month club, so I've got that over Clark Griswold. We had drawn names and I drew Byron's. Awesome. Byron is my workplace buddy. He's like Megan, but male and an engineer. Among a couple of nice gifts including a beautifully photographed book on bridges (which I considered keeping for myself), I presented him with a gag gift that turned out to be the hit of the party. It's a solid brass frog, about 10" tall, hoisting a barbell. It means nothing and is ugly as all hell. It now resides on his desk.

Saturday morning: Mom, Dad, and I took off for Jackson to pick up Luke at the itty-bitty airport. Since his flight wasn't scheduled to land until that evening, we spent the afternoon shopping for last minute stocking stuffers and barely surviving the hellish last-Saturday-before-Christmas traffic. Luke landed safely, and we drove on to Nashville, stayed the night and flew out to California early Sunday morning. We arrived at the Burbank airport shortly before noon, and were greeted by a gorgeous So-Cal day, sunny and 76. After a fanfrickintastic dinner on the boat, Luke and I crashed at Grandpa's beach house. We opened the windows and fell asleep to the sound of waves crashing and seagulls. Monday morning, the whole flock (of Parsons/Saints/Andreottis, not seagulls) gathered at the beach and met the photographer. This was really fun. We have never had pictures done of the whole family. In fact, it was the first time since 1982 that the whole family has gathered for Christmas (I wasn't even around yet), and there are several new members. My uncle Steve (Eric's dad) and his wife and son came down from Oregon, and Eric and his wife and little girl came in from North Carolina. It was so awesome being surrounded by all these incredible people that are part of who I am. I mean, we've all been around each other at various times, just not simultaneously. Anyway, we did the portraits, hung at the beach, and went to my Grandma's house for Christmas Eve dinner, where my dad and his siblings recreated a Christmas picture from when they were children. It was very sweet, and so cool to see my dad and aunts and uncle play like kids. The next morning, everyone gathered on the boat for presents and breakfast. There were actual presents for Dave (Eric's twelve year old brother) and Sophie (his two year old daughter) of course, and the rest of us had stockings. Very fun. We then spent the day chillaxing there on the boat. Aunt Linda, Uncle John, and Luke made homemade ravioli and and a pork loin roast, among other treats, for our Christmas dinner, and I sprawled out on the upper deck , basking in the sunlight and reading trashy magazines like Star and In Touch.

Other highlights of the trip include: Luke and I going to Universal Studios and the whole group hanging out in Solvang, this cute little Swiss-ish town chock-full of shops and bakeries. Damn Santa Ana winds prevented us from making the trip to Catalina, but it's cool. We still had a wonderful time. I'm so psyched that Luke got to come. It meant so much to me to have him there with me, not just to spend more time together before the looming separation, but to get to know my family better.


P.S. Too chilly to get in the water and didn't have a wetsuit or a board anyway. Bummer.

6 comments:

palm tree said...

Sounds like you had a pretty amazing time. I don't know if I could handle a 76 degree Christmas. But it seems like you had an awesome time. Can't wait to see the pics!

sarah saint said...

It was more in the sixties in Ventura, and pretty chilly on the beach. Always warmer around L.A./Burbank. It got really cold the day Luke and I went to Universal, though. Cold enough that after we got off a ride where I had gotten wet, I hadto buy some ridiculously overpriced jogging pants in a souvenier shop. Or walk around crying and shivering.

Got some pics up on my Flickr. More coming. I don't have Dad's camera, so I'm having to haul 'em over from his Snapfish album as he puts them up.

theogeo said...

Yep, sounds like it was good for the soul.

theogeo said...

OMFG, I did not know you were related to Eric! Did you get to see his wife and baby? Awww.

casey said...

How exciting!! Im glad you had a good xmas!

sarah saint said...

Yup, cousins. His dad and my dad are brothers.