A quest to make sense of it all. Or a sense to make a quest of it all.

Monday, November 12, 2007

Ok, after watching some of the videos at http://www.goveg.com/, I'm thoroughly disgusted with the large meat/dairy producers. Well, I'm disgusted with any animal-product producer that is cruel to the animals.

I don't have a problem with eating meat (yet). I do have a problem with the animals being kept in cramped, filthy spaces and being killed inhumanely. This moral dilemma leaves me with three options:

1) Take up hunting, and only eat the animals I myself shoot, and thus be assured that they had the most earthy upbringing possible and were quickly and painlessly dispatched.
2) Pay oodles of money to an organic/free-range/cruelty-free provider as close as possible to my city. I can't think of any, so I'll probably have to pay oodlles and a half to find one reasonably close and have my purchases shipped.
3) Go vegan. This is honestly the least attractive option to me. Even the idea of the standard french-braid and ugly boots that are the domain of hunter-women everywhere doesn't seem like that huge a price to pay when compared to the sucktitude of giving up milk, cheese, and eggs. And chicken. Beef, I can totally do without. I'm not that big of a fan of it. So no problem there; I'll take one of these over beef any day. And I've been halfway-avoiding pork for awhile, just because I think pigs are some of the cutest creatures on the planet (prosciutto is my weakness;it's the only pork product I regularly consume). But chicken? Dairy products? I need these things to (happily) survive.

So, yeah. If there are any options I'm overlooking, please share them. Because I don't want to give up certain products but can no longer buy them under the Kroger brand without shame.

Just sayin'.

1 comment:

casey said...

I dont know what I would do there maybe give up food? I couldnt give up meat! But I know what you mean my sister sent me one of those videos! Its sad but hey gotta eat! Get a farn and raise your own animals and then when they get big plump kill them and eat them! Wait thats mean too! I dunno what you should do!