A quest to make sense of it all. Or a sense to make a quest of it all.

Monday, October 29, 2007

I came home Saturday afternoon from taking my grandmother to the Memphis airport that morning. The past few days had been way stressful (good, but stressful). Moving into a new (better) place, paying off old student loans, trying to squeeze in some visit time with grandma, etc. So I was pretty bushed walking in the front door. I was greeted by a joyful, excited Luke, who said, "Hey, baby! Get suited and booted real quick! I'm taking you to Memphis! But we gotta hurry. Quick, quick! And you should wear heels. But bring comfortable shoes, too, 'cause there'll be walking later!"

After hugging him back and choking down some unkind words of confusion, I quickly scurried to get ready. We hit the road and arrived at The Melting Pot about an hour later. He then took me to Beale Street for a ghost tour.

Does this guy know the way to my heart, or what? Melted cheese and spooky history. I'm putty, I tell you. Putty.

The Melting Pot:
Fabulous! A little pricey, but worth it. You get four courses: cheese fondue, salad, entree (ours was a sampling of filet mignon, pork tenderloin, chicken, shrimp, lobster, and vegetables), and chocolate dessert fondue. Go. Like, get in the car and go right now.

Haunted Memphis (by Backbeat Tours, http://www.backbeattours.com/):
Really fun. I've been on spookier tours, but John, the guide, was awesome and I learned cool stuff about some apparently pretty bloody Memphian history. I'd go again. It's just kinda hard to get psyched up about supernatural goings-on when you're jumping out of the way of stumbling drunks and straining to hear over Elvis impersonators. But parts of the tour were in quiter areas, and that was good stuff. Like the Gayoso apartment building, for example. That was satisfyingly creepy. After the tour, I had a chance to talk with John and turns out he's a filmmaker, and his wife's from Corinth. He gave me his e-mail address. I hope to talk with him again soon. Maybe we can get together and collaborate or something. (That sounds so snarky, like I should be wearing sunglasses and a greasy low ponytail. And be a guy.)

In the meantime, anytime I tell someone about Backbeat Tours, I find myself softly singing "Backbeat, the word is on the street..." and wondering what Oasis is doing right now.

6 comments:

casey said...

Ok so how fun!!! The melting pot yes I was not as impressed with it because of the price but yes fun and worth the novelty of fondue or should I say Fun-do!!! Woo hoo glad you had a blast !!!You deserve it

theogeo said...

Neat. I want to do a haunted tour of Memphis. If I didn't have to work tomorrow night, I'd be ON IT.

I took a haunted tour of New Orleans once. It was fucking awesome.

sarah saint said...

Cool. I've always wanted to do one in New Orleans. I went on one in Savannah, GA a few years ago that was seriously scary. Lotsa fun :D

palm tree said...

I always wanted to go to the Melting Pot in Nashville. Michi used to take her wife there for romantic evenings. Pretty effing expensive according to her, too.

theogeo said...

It's something ridonkulous like $50 per person or something.

sarah saint said...

Yeah, the meal we picked (you can choose from three or build your own; we picked one of the three) was $82 per couple I think, plus drinks and tip. And you've gotta tip well 'cause the server actually makes the fondues at your table. So yeah, it's definitely just an occasional treat.