A quest to make sense of it all. Or a sense to make a quest of it all.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

I think that if I did not so carefully guard against it, I could easily become a compulsive swallower. I've always felt challenged to swallow certain items, and was once rushed to the Navy base emergency room by my panicked parents because I had earlier swallowed $0.36. In between watching Tamara shake her groove thing and taking bites of my dinner, I'm watching Maria Full of Grace. For those who may not know, it's about a Colombian chick who smuggles heroin into the U.S. by swallowing bullet-shaped packets of it. There's a scene where she's practicing with grapes and I caught myself thinking, "That's nothing." Because I do find myself often swallowing things whole, like grapes, mushrooms, hard candy, brussels sprouts, etc. I have no desire to be a drug mule, but if it ever came to pass that I had to be, I'm so down with the swallowing. (Which is completely contradictory to my intense fear of choking.) So I think I'm already compulsive, just not problematic. I don't want to swallow light bulbs or anything.

Someone share something so I don't feel so crazy.

3 comments:

Palm Tree said...

Hmm. Share something.

During the summer before second grade I was struck indirectly by lightning while eating a creamsicle.

Brooke's the one with Monk-like OCD. She doesn't trust mailboxes, so she drives all the way to the post office to mail things. And then she has to go in - she won't use the drive-up blue ones.

I have to use the same pen all day at work. If someone takes it I will interrupt them and take it back.

Palm Tree said...

Swallowing a whole piece of peppermint is probably the worst feeling in the world.

theogeo said...

I freak out even when I swallow ice cubes, even though I know good and well that if I wait three seconds, they'll just disappear and my throat will be fine.

So understanding compulsive swallowing, I do not.

I do, however, understand a compulsive need to pop my jaw bone, pick at my face, trim my toenails, sniff nasal spray, apply lip balm, pull up my pants, check my e-mail, etc.